The Korean Education Centre in Sydney is hosting The 2017 Korean Performance Contest, inviting students interested in the Korean language and culture to participate in the event. The details of the contest are as follows:
◈ Background and Aim
The aim of this contest is to encourage students (Background or Non-background) who are learning Korean as a foreign language or a second language. The contest aims to make learning the Korean language more enjoyable and inspiring, by providing learners with an opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge through performance and to enjoy the performance of others as well as to compare those performances with their own.
Participants are asked to submit a recorded performance or a piece of artwork to the judging panel, who will then select and invite the best performers/artists to perform or show their work live at the final contest which will be held in September in Sydney.
The contest is open to all students (Background and Non-background) from Kindergarten to Year 12, who are participating in school-based Korean language learning.
1. Contest Format
Any form of presentation using the written Korean Language such as reciting poetry, illustrated booklets, drawing, or handicrafts.
You may choose one of the following topics:
‘‘Korea’, ‘Korean Culture’, ‘Korean Food’, ‘Korean Tour’
● The final stage contestants should explain about their works for up to 2-3 minutes in Korean with artworks on the stage.
● Size of the artwork: no bigger than the size of A3.
► The Performances
The subject, content and form of the performances must be related to Korean culture (for example, Korean traditional dance, musical performance, dramatic performance, Taekwondo, K-pop dance, K-pop song, performing a skit etc.)
● The final stage contestants should explain about their works for up to 2-3 minutes in Korean before their performance.
● Students may participate as individuals or as a group
● Length of Performance: 4-5 minutes
2. Contest Format
● Participants may apply through their school, teachers, or individually.
● Artworks or a file / USB / CD / YouTube clip showing his / her performance should be sent with the application form.
● All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
● The prizes will be awarded to the most outstanding participants.
Category / Division / Prize
Artworks Primary (Year 1~6) 1St $200
High School (Year 7~12) 1St $300
Performances Primary (Year 1~6) 1St $300
High School (Year 7~12) 1St a round-trip plane ticket
* Note: the prizes may be subject to change.
※ Around $3,500 in prizes will be offered in the final stage contest.
※ A round-trip plane ticket to Seoul will be given to the First Prize for the Performance category in the High School division sponsored by in Sydney.
4. Application Closing Date and Final Contest
A. Application and Inquiry
Closing date : Friday 18 August 2017
Send to : Korean Education Centre
Consulate General of the Republic of Korea
Suite 601, 287 Elizabeth St Sydney NSW 2000
Inquiry and Application form download :
Tel: (02) 9261-8033 Fax: (02) 9261-8444
Web: www.auskec.kr à “KEC NEWS” à “2017 Korean Performance Contest ”
B. Final Contest
Time : 13:30 ~ 17:00
Date : Wednesday 13 September 2017
Venue : Korean Cultural Centre in Sydney
255 Elizabeth St Sydney NSW 2000
※ The final contestants must obtain permission from their schools.